Literature
Literature:
• What are your favorite lines or quotes? Copy them in your blog and explain why you like them.
• What clues did the author use to help you predict what was going to happen later?
• What were some of the events that created conflict in the story?
• Would you like to read more books by this author? Why or why not?
• What are your favorite lines or quotes? Copy them in your blog and explain why you like them.
• What clues did the author use to help you predict what was going to happen later?
• What were some of the events that created conflict in the story?
• Would you like to read more books by this author? Why or why not?
"I see IT in the hallway. IT goes to Merryweather. IT is walking with Aubrey Cheerleader. IT is my nightmare and I can't wake up" (Anderson 45). This is my favorite line because it makes think and wonder is this her rapist? I also like this line because IT reminds me of someone I have held a grudge against. I also lie this quote because it gives you a better understanding of why she has been upset. This "IT" is her nightmare and what she has been worrying about.
ReplyDeleteThe author also helps us predict what's going to happen next which I believe is her admitting that she has been raped because she says that she can't wake up
Because eventually everyone wakes up. I think she will finally tell Rachel that she was raped because that would be the next step for her admitting that she's been raped.
DeleteI definitely would like to read more books from this author because they are really suspense full, and told in kind of like a diary sort of tone, which I really like to read. I usually don’t like reading for pleasure, or reading in general most of the time, but this author makes me want to read ahead and find out what is going to happen next. Another thing I like how the author wrote the book is that it is really relateable to what myself and my group are going through right now. We can relate because we are in our first year of high school, and we can also relate to all the other things Melinda goes through and mentions in the book.
ReplyDeleteOverall, I would love to read more books written by this author because they are suspenseful, cliffhangers, and I feel like I never want to put the book down once I open it, which is a change for me given I don’t really like reading for pleasure.
I agree with olivia because the author does a really good job in keeping you intrigued in the book and keeping you icing and thinking what's next. I also agree with how it relates to us because we're in high school but I don't see any where else we would relate because she is a victim of rape. I am also like olivia because I have trouble finding a book I like because I am not much of a choice book reader but with this book once I started I could not put the book down.
DeleteI agree with Olivia, since I really dislike reading; however, this book was different. It kept me on the edge of my toes wanting to read more. While reading this book I tried to connect to it as much as i could. I put myself in her shoes, and thought about what I would do. If I would do anything different or not. As Olivia said, it was kind of like a diary, so it felt as if she is right there expressing all of this to you. It made you really think about the decisions she made as if you were there to help her through it.
Delete"I want to confess everything, hand over the guilt and mistake and anger to someone else." (Anderson, 51).
ReplyDeleteI really like this quote since it shows how Mel really feels. She wants to express herself and open up to someone but something stops her. The best cure is to open up about your feelings; however, she can't. It's as if she can't control her own lips. Or as if something is scaring her. She's not only lying to ones around her, but she is lying to herself. She has to confess and accept what happened first before she can open up to other people about the truth. The author helped us feel connected to her, it made us want to talk to her and help her through this. I wonder how long it's gonna take for her to confess.
I believe that this quote is saying that Melinda wants to open up and just almost cry for help, but she almost wants someone else to do it for her because she is so scared of being bullied and no one believing her. I agree with Tara in that she can’t control her own lips. I also think that because she thinks about so much stuff in her head, she can’t differentiate between talking in her head and trying to talk out loud. Melinda simply just can’t get her words out even though she can get them out in her head.
Delete“I almost tell them right then and there. Tears flood my eyes. They noticed I’ve been trying to draw. They noticed. I try to swallow the snowball in my throat. This isn’t going to be easy. I’m sure they suspect I was at the party. Maybe they even heard about me calling the cops. But I want to tell them, everything as we sit there, by our Christmas tree.” (Anderson 72)
ReplyDeleteI think this quote foreshadowes that Melinda is going to eventually tell someone about the party and what happened. I feel like the quote shows that the longer Melinda is keeping this secret, the more the stress of it is affecting her through her grades and her emotional well-being. Therefore, eventually I think she is going to breakdown and is going to have to tell someone and her parents as she becomes more depressed and more sad.
I also belive this is foreshadowing because she is saying that she wants to tell everyone but she's having a hard time letting it out. I also agree with Olivia because the longer Melinda keeps this secret the more stress it is causing her .
DeleteI agree with Annika and Olivia, she is clearly wanting to let her emotions out. However, she can't since she has lost her voice. She has lost herself and her emotions. Whenever she tries to speak, nothing comes out. I feel as if she wants to come forward and say everything; however, she hasn't accepted the fact of it happening herlself. She is still in denial about the incident, so she can't bring herself to express her feelings. I think she's about to come forward sometime soon.
DeleteSome clues the author included to help me predict what was going to happen later were whe; the author included IT coming into the art room and talking to Melinda. I though this was foreshadowing because I thought that something bigger was going to happen later with IT and Melinda, which something did. The thing that happened was when IT took Melinda into the closet with him.
ReplyDelete